Wednesday, April 18, 2012

bookworm

I got another new book in the mail today! It's The Natural History of the Puget Sound, by Arthur Kruckeberg.

It's on my summer reading list for my program. I've been pretty much devouring anything I can get my hands on that pertains to environmental education, natural history, or the ecology of the North Cascades. I just feel like I'm going to be so far behind some of the other grads that I should at least try to catch up. Plus, I don't have a very good memory so I need to read about this stuff as much as possible.

I've already read The Leader Who is Hardly Known by Stephen Simpson, a book about how the Tao relates to experiential education. I found it very intriguing. I very much admire the author after reading his book, and he got me reading about the Tao itself as well. For some reason it suddenly appeals to me way more now than it did when I learned about it in a college philosophy class five years ago. I'm a way different person now than I was then, and I think much of my worldview now meshes with Taoism in a way that it didn't back then. I especially want to practice humility more.

Also, I finally have my very own copy of Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast. It is something I have wanted for a few years, but I never had the money or the space (it's like $25, and usually that much used). But I found it for like $14 used online and it's on the summer book list, so I bought it. I love it. For a field guide, it's hilarious.

Okay, time to go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather! Here are those three books listed on Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment