Tuesday, April 26, 2011

April 26 - Flying to San Diego

Everything I'm bringing

Waiting for the plane

Today we got up ridiculously early (4:30), got on a plane, and flew to San Diego, so that in less than 12 hours, we can take our first step on the Pacific Crest Trail.

That is exciting, but only slightly less exciting is the treatment we have gotten when we got here. Holy crap, who knew people could be so nice? Scout and Frodo (also known as the Manns) picked us up from the airport, took us back to their house, gave us access to their entire (well labeled) kitchen ("we want you to act like it's your parents' kitchen, or how you want kids to act in your kitchen when you're a parent") and then provided dinner and a singalong to over 30 people. They gave us a bed to sleep in and are going to provide breakfast and drive us to the trailhead at 6 am. What an introduction to the thru-hiking culture. I hope I get to pay it forward along the hike or after.

I don't know when the next update will be but it won't be more than a few days. Hopefully we can get some sleep (we're pretty tired) so we can get a good start tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK! Love you, miss you, and I am extremely jealous/proud/envious of you two! You and Chris and just so perfect and I think this is an incredible journey for you both to share with your friends and family :)... happy climbing and don't forget to put sunscreen on your nose.

    PS, You are in my thoughts and prayers while you complete your PCT adventure. :) Peace and Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (delayed comment because the form was broken for a while there)

    Yeah Scout and Frodo are amazing people. They hosted me and we kept in contact as we all hiked north. They even came to my wedding last year.

    ReplyDelete