Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 27 - Southern Terminus

April 27

Starting point: southern terminus
End: hauser creek
Daily miles: 15.4
Trip miles: 15.4

Team Clean Fun at the Border

Starting the trip with desert wildflowers


Chris and I had this idea in our heads of the first 20 miles of the PCT as a hot, ugly slog through cow fields and cactus. Something you just have to get through.

That is so not how it is. There were so many flowers! Everything was so lush compared to Texas right now. They have had a really wet spring, so everything's flowering and all the springs and creeks are running. Normally people leave with about 4 or 5 liters of water, we would have been fine with 1 each, but we took 3 each. It's paradise.

This morning, Yogi drove us to the border. Meeting her was kind of exciting, because she put together the first thing I ever read about the trail - her PCT Handbook.

Then I realized I forgot my trekking poles and sit pad at Scout and Frodo's. Which was an annoying start. But I was able to email them and they're going to bring them to the Kick Off this weekend.
Because they're awesome.

We're camped here at Hauser Creek. It is beautiful - oaks and manzanita and lupines and lush green grass and a flowing creek. Were in the canyon between two passes. The frogs are loud in the creek - Erin, who's camped nearby and has never done any backpacking before just asked if they would keep it up all night. She cracks me up.

Oh! We saw our first rattler today. We were told it was a western diamondback but I'm not convinced.   Lisa, another girl camped near us, ran out of the bushes when another started rattling at our campsite. We decided not to cowboy camp.

Okay I have to brush my teeth and read the map and sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment