Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I know I need to write something to keep myself in the habit, but I feel like I have absolutely nothing to say.

Chris and I have been doing the same thing for two weeks - getting up a little later than we wish we would, cutting brush and mesquite trees with chain saws, piling it all up in burn piles, loading the rounds in the tractor and hauling them away for firewood. I've had "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claws" in my head most of the time because of all the mistletoe in the mesquite trees. Chris had "this s*** is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s" stuck in his head for a lot of today. It popped into my head because I thought it was bananas how much tree we had cut down, and I passed it on to him like a disease. He keeps rearranging the words. It's almost as bad as "Yellow Submarine."

At night, we do some combination of the following: read, research the PCT, sit in the hot tub, cook, watch a movie, do a puzzle, and/or listen to Harry Potter on audiodisk. For the last three days, we've been working on a puzzle (given to us by my mom) and listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It's unreal how fast the time passes. It's peaceful, quiet and pleasant, mostly.

So time just slips by, for the most part unbounded by any interesting events...

The only thing we've done different than all of this is go for a "hike" at Choke Canyon State Park. Here's Choke Canyon Reservoir, the park's namesake, and isn't the view beautiful?
I think we got about 5 feet of elevation all day. 
This is the only "hiking" opportunity within about two hours of here, and it had a total of two miles of trail. This place is a black hole of hiking. God forbid walking around in the outdoors unless you're doing it to kill things.

I'm really looking forward to the PCT. Speaking of...

PCT news:

We bought the tent! Lunar Duo it is. Also, my ULA Circuit just came in, and I am ecstatic at the fit and comfort. I got the new S-shaped shoulder straps, designed for women. They seem to feel pretty good. Now for somewhere to take it... Chris and I are thinking Big Bend for a long weekend soon.

3 comments:

  1. Clearly you discuss pop music, but what else do y'all talk about? Obnoxiously inquiring minds want to know. Also, I want to know more about Chris. I know all about you--changed your diapers, etc.
    DETAILS.
    Photos of the puzzle? What are you cooking on the ranch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needy!

    First, it's hard to have a conversation when one half of the participants is constantly dismantling things with a chainsaw. How do I answer that question? The weather, we talk about the weather, Rachel. Actually, we have recently had a conversation about how pointless the sentence "Looks like we're going to get some weather" is. I feel like many of our conversations start out with one of us indulging some random daydream thought.

    Here's the puzzle, although I obviously didn't take the picture. It went nicely with Harry Potter. http://www.jigsawgallery.com/details.php?refnum=PUR344

    We made angelfood cake this week! I mean, we ate other things besides that, but that was the most exciting, except maybe the green enchiladas. And I think I can officially say that I perfected my Spanish rice recipe.

    I feel like these details are too boring to be put in the blog though. I would be bored. I'm surprised you've even read this far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling, I am exceedingly needy and my penchant for detail is shocking.
    I would like your recipe for green enchiladas. I have no idea what green enchiladas are. I assume they're delicious. I will pass on the Spanish Rice.
    I find myself talking about the weather a lot. I imagine the only places people don't speak of the weather would be Hawaii and the Sahara.
    The thing about the people reading your blog is that they're reading it because they do want to know all the tiny details. We're all voyeurs on the internet, Sillary.
    I would like to do a jigsaw puzzle (I just read a book about their history!), but Copernicus doesn't seem to think the pieces should stay assembled.
    I still want to hear from Chris. I'm pretty sure you said the blog was for the both of you . . .
    <3

    ReplyDelete