Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A SCORPION FELL ON MY FOOT IN THE SHOWER

Did you read the title of this post?!


I hate finding scorpions inside the house. I don't enjoy finding scorpions anywhere, but especially not INSIDE my HOUSE. In Dufur, I had a bunch of "shower-buddies" - mostly daddy long legs. I cleaned them out so many times I just got tired of it and stopped. I didn't mind them. They weren't creepy. They stayed in their warm little corners in the ceiling and never threatened me. In Corpus, in the winter month(s), I had a green tree frog that would hang out in my shower, toilet, and once freaked me out by climbing out of my sink drain in true vintage-horror-story glamour. I liked seeing that little frog. I was always sad when he disappeared in the spring.

I will never ever be sad that a scorpion is not in my shower. I will probably be consciously thankful every time I get through a shower and a scorpion does not fall on my foot. Back to checking the sheets every night I go...


Aside from that, a few other interesting "Yup, we live in the sticks" moments have happened recently, mostly including the pig traps. We really only want to catch pigs in the pig traps. Here's a terrible video of us removing something from a pig trap that should be out, propagating itself so we can eat more of it later:

Wild Turkey


Also, we actually did catch a pig yesterday. Which meant... well, they're feral and they cause a lot of problems for the ecosystem and they dig giant holes that make us feel like the golf cart is going to do a somersault... so we shot it. I should say, Chris shot it. We both felt bad that the first time either of us had killed something that big and mammalian had to be in a cage. But we gave it to my uncle because we need to spread the wild game love around, so hopefully he and his family get some yummy roasts out of it. And hey, it didn't grow up in a feed lot. So that's nice.


As far as work goes, we've graduated from cutting down thorny bushes to cutting down cactus to fix the barbed wire fence. I will always remember this as the pokiest time of my life.

1 comment: