Saturday, June 11, 2011

June 10

End: walker pass campground
Daily: 20.5
Total: 651.5

That number, 651.5, suddenly looked really big to me when I typed it out. Have we really gone 650 miles? We're almost a quarter of the way done.

We did our first 10 miles by 10 am today. We got up early to get a cool start on the climb, and then realized we'd already done 6 miles by 8:30 and the next few miles were only slightly uphill, so we thought we would go for it. We made it with 10 minutes to spare. 

We also did 5 miles in 1 hr and 30 minutes today. We were just really excited to get here, because we knew there was trail magic and because we're sick of the desert. 

So we got here and there were cold drinks and beer and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomatoes (!!!) and chairs and shade and tons of people. Warner Springs Monty and Yogi are here along with a ton of other people. We all had dinner (brats and salad and three different kinds of cake) and hung out.

Okay, here's where I get into the controversial stuff. Everyone out here smokes so much weed. So much. Everyone. All the time. I know it's legal to buy, whatever, but it's just annoying that everyone smokes it literally all day. I wonder if it's just the group we're in, or if this happens in every group. I wish we could find a group that didn't smoke a bowl every time they weren't moving, and sometimes even when they are. If they're not smoking weed, they're smoking cigarettes. I'm tired of my clothes always smelling like weed and cigarettes even though I don't smoke either. End of rant.   

2 comments:

  1. I hardly saw any smoking on the trail, I heard one guy was carrying pot but never saw it. And I'm uber-senstive about it. Neurotic would be putting it mildly.

    It sounds like there are lots of people at KM and groups are forming as and when hikers are ready to roll. There's nothing to stop you falling in with others if you're uncomfortable where you are. Don't beat yourself up about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed that you didn't and it makes me a little hopeful. We're taking a couple of days off in Kennedy because we've found a group of people we really like that all want to do the Sierra as a group (or something like it) and they're a little less interested in smoking all the time and talking about it all the time. Hopefully that's true.

    I spent most of yesterday dwelling on how much I hate cigarettes and people smoking around me. Chris got to listen to it. Poor Chris. :)

    ReplyDelete