Friday, June 24, 2011

June 20 - Mt. Whitney

Today was probably the most intense of the trip so far. We woke up at four am, and amidst protests from Boots - "Does this make sense to you?! Couldn't we start at a time when the sun might possibly come up - ever?!" - we started our climb up Whitney.

The very first step in this hike was into a rushing snow-melt creek, which we had to ford at 5 am. We had to do this to leave our campsite. My feet didn't warm up until at least 9 am. Then we hiked on snow and beside frozen lakes for 4 miles before starting the real climb. The trail up Whitney was partly covered in very steep snow fields, so the easiest way up was to scramble up the scree and boulder-covered mountain side. Everyonce in a while, we would find trail and rejoice! only to have it blocked by another icy, near-verticle patch of snow.

Finally, after a few hours of that, we found generally clear trail. On we hiked to the summit, where we took our 10:30 am lunch break. In the register on top was a Staples Easy Button, like from the commercials. I cracked everyone up.

While we were on top, we met some people who had come up the Whitney Portal, who were telling us how awesome we were because we walked there from Mexico and all. We pointed out that it was more impressive that they got up there, because we've been training for this for two months, almost, and they were able to do it in a day without much training. Literally while I was saying this, someone said "Hey, I think you just got out-badassed" and pointed over my shoulder. A guy hauled himself over the edge of the sheer, 2000-foot or more cliff face on the east side of the mountain behind me. Yup. He was all roped in and belaying his friend up the mountain. Crazy!

Coming down the mountain was almost as hard, because the snow had turned soft and the postholing started. We did get to glisade a little, but I wish there had been more. I used my ice-ax for what it's really meant for, once - to catch myself from falling down a snowy mountain. I've never gone from standing to falling on such a steep slop before. I was glad I was using it correctly when I fell.

We got back around 4 and moved camp to the other side of the creek, because we have to go out this way anyway, and I'd rather ford the creek when I'm already wet.

8:00 bedtime, yeah! Short day tomorrow, double yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment