Friday, June 24, 2011

June 23 - Kearsarge Pass, Independence and Bishop

End: Bishop, CA
Daily: 7.9 (only .5 on the PCT)
Total: 788.9

Kearsarge was way harder for me than Forester. It was all the approach. We lost the trail a couple of times, and I'm just getting sick of all the snow. Sidehilling uphill on snow and wet rocks is really tiring. The pass itself wasn't hard, but the approach wore me out.

Anyway, then we got down to Onion Valley, where Uber was camped out giving rides and cold drinks to hikers. She gave us a ride into Independence, where we got food at a cafe there (it wasn't very good) and then caught the bus into Bishop. We decided to go in to get me new trekking poles.

In Bishop, we checked in to the Ramada with Bubbles and Boots and Pepe, and then went and got dinner at a place called Whiskey Creek. It was expensive (our meal was 66 with tax and tip, but that included a beer sampler and a beer each), but it was so worth it. The portions were huge - I even took a third of mine back to the room. It was nice to feel civilized.

Now it's the next day and I think we're taking it easy to give my knee a break. I'm excited about the bookstore down the street. Probably heading back out tomorrow. I'm happy to get a break from the exhausting snow. We've heard the river crossings coming up will be scary, if not just impassable. I think we'll be okay. Someone's going to have to carry Bubbles, though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment