Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 27

End: Middle Fork Feather River
Daily: 26.6
Total: 1250.5



Happy three months on trail, and longest day yet. We walked more than a marathon!

My knee hasn't hurt for a week. I've been taking glucosamine for about a month, so I guess it's finally kicked in, cuz God knows I haven't been giving it a break.

The first half of today was all up again. At one point, we were contouring on the side of a ridge, slowly making our way to the top, and I could have SWORN we got to the top of the ridge, and then the trail made 2 1/2 90 degree right turns and I started having visions of MC Escher drawings. The ones where people keep climbing endless staircases that just go in circles. But then we went off to the left and down. There's a ton of forest around here, but it all looks like it hasn't seen a fire in decades. It's really unhealthy and cluttered looking.

The mountains around here look really small. Everything looks completely different from the drama of the Sierra. I like the change, though I will miss the knock-down beauty of the sheer granite cliffs and snow.

There's a snowy peak off in the distance - Lassen? Shasta? We think it's Lassen.

We heard a bear, probably, today. Just some crashing in the bushes.

Now we're camped by this gorgeous river. Seriously - a cool bridge over a deep rocky canyon. So pretty. Lots of no-see-ums, but they've all gone to bed now. I think I'll follow their lead.

1 comment:

  1. Ellen Lloyd-ReilleyJuly 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM

    So, I've been bored this summer and have kind of silently been following your trip. I'm so impressed with what you're doing! But anyway, you finally came to the part of CA that I'm familiar with! I spent a week one summer at the base of Lassen (which is GORGEOUS to a girl who has spent the whole summer in South Texas) and if you follow the Feather River until it becomes a creek, you will eventually find yourself at the Feather River Resort where my family has had family reunions every summer since before I was born.

    Anyway, Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete