Tuesday, July 5, 2011

June 30 - Evolution Creek

End: At a huge campsite with Rockfish, Han Solo and Wandering DOT.
Daily: 15.1
Total: 862.6

Today was pretty uneventful, for the Sierra. It was snow free for the most part, which was awesome! I felt a little like we were back in SoCal - there was less snow, the mountains weren't as tall, and we saw tons of non-thru-hikers.

We did cross Evolution Creek today - that was really easy. It's been cold, and less snow has been melting, so the water only went up to my upper thigh. Chris didn't even get his rolled up shorts wet. We crossed at the alternate crossing in the meadow, so it was slow and wide with a sandy bottom.

Probably the best thing about today was that we've been hiking with Rockfish and Han Solo and Wandering DOT. They crack me up.

Well, Selden tomorrow. Yogi's guide just says it's "the easiest pass." And we're only 3 miles from the top. Then Bear Creek, which we've been hearing about for a while. It will probably be the hardest part about tomorrow.

One thing that's been getting me through the hard, endless snowy stretches is thinking about little goals. I pick a rock like 50 feet away and tell myself all I have to do is get there. Then we get there and we yell "YAY! we made it!!" It breaks it up so you don't have to think about how far you still have to go... this is working for the Sierra. All I can think about is today. I will get overwhelmed if I think about the fact that I still have so many days before a rest. Just get through tomorrow and then we'll think about the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment