Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May 2

Starting point: pioneer mail picnic area
Ending point: Rodriguez spur fire tank campsite
Daily miles: 14.9
Total miles: 68.4

Today was WINDY! I literally got blown off course multiple times. One time was on a sketchy rock outcropping... The wind was gusting at 35 or 40 miles per hour. I wasn't scared, because it was only blowing up hill so it really wouldn't put us in danger. But we were slow today, partly from fighting the wind and partly because our feet hurt from yesterday.

We started the day ahead of the pack and now they're beginning to catch up. I don't mind because I feel like I'll feel more comfortable with the middle of the pack hikers, but finding a campsite might be difficult.

My eyes are dried out from the wind. I may wear glasses tomorrow. Ugh. I hate wearing glasses.

We could see San Jacinto and the San Gorgonios yesterday, and today they looked much closer. There is lots of snow on them...



There's a rumor of free pie in Julian, so we're going to hitch in tomorrow. I've never hitched more than two miles before. Should be interesting. My whole group wants to hitch with me because I'm the only girl with any hair to speak of, since Katie buzzed hers two days ago. We'll see how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. "Ride Bride" : A lady that helps otherwise unattractive men get hitches


    (p.s. this is the third time I have typed this out, BlogSpot keeps crashing. If you're not getting as many comments as you'd expect it's BlogSpot's fault)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, nobody I'm with has heard of a ride bride yet.

    Craig, I apologize if you've already told me this, but do you have a trail name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was Sunwalker to most people, but that sounded kinda hippy-ish so later when someone said they'd call a kiwi hiker "Heaps" I sort of adopted that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete