Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 5 - Warner Springs

Starting point: Barrel Springs CG
Ending Point: Warner Springs Resort
Daily Miles: 8
Total miles: 109 (estimate, I don't have my maps with me)

So I thought I would take advantage of a keyboard and real computer to write some stuff that I keep forgetting to write about and to go into more detail about other stuff.

First off, we made it to Warner Springs, which means we've not only hiked over 100 miles, but we've also finished a whole section of the PCT (Section A). The PCT is broken up in sections in each state, and California has at least to Section O... I don't know after that. Anyway, we've officially done a section! Also, making it to Warner Springs means we get to take a shower and do laundry and swim in the pool and sleep in a bed! Katie and Wayne and Chris and I are sharing a room, which is nice because they're a little pricey, although they give us a hiker discount.

So here are some observations over the last few days:

1. We've officially seen or heard 4 rattlesnakes since starting the trail. We saw two at sunset the day before yesterday. Only one rattled, but none were aggressive. All three we could see were western diamondbacks.

2. The rocks and sand around here have a really high concentration of mica, which means it looks like someone has scattered glitter all up and down the trail. It looks like the trail is made partly of gold. It's gorgeous. Only it gets in your socks and never comes off your glittery feet.

3. Trail gossip. I've heard of this, but it's funny to actually experience it. We heard Osama Bin Ladin was killed the day it happened, even though we were nowhere near a town. Someone checked their phone, learned he died, and the whole thru hiker community knew about it by the end of the day. Also, there's an 11 year old hiking the trail with her dad, and she had a birthday two days ago, so when we met her last night we were able to say Happy Birthday even though we'd never met her. People just leapfrog eah other and exchange news at stops.

Now I can't remember anything else, but at least I got those things out. Hooray!

As far as today, it was my favorite day yet. We woke up to coffee made by the trail angels at Barrel Springs, and then hiked through GIANT meadows with Holstein cows and rolling hills and under huge oak trees and by a STREAM. The amount of water today was amazing. And the amount of shade. I can't help mentally noting all the shady spots after yesterday in the desert with NO shade.

We passed Eagle Rock, which, obviously enough, is a rock shaped like an eagle. It is way cooler than it sounds. I can't wait to post pictures, but I can't here.

Oh! Right after Eagle Rock was a group of thru hikers all sitting down... We were wondering why, since people don't usually stop unless there's water. Turns out there was another trail angel with iced Replenish (a gatorade-y drink), and cookies and snacks. It was awesome. I want to grow up to be a trail angel.

Oh! Chris and I both have our trail names now. I'm Seahorse, because I found a purple plastic seahorse sand toy at Kick Off and decided it was coming with me to Canada. So people would ask if I was Seahorse... and it just became my name. Chris is Chilidog, because at the trail angel party last night, his fork broke and the plate tipped all over him and then he had chilidog all over his pants. He ate it anyway, and someone pointed at him and yelled "CHILIDOG! That's your name!" So we're Seahorse and Chilidog now. Feels good to introduce ourselves as something other than our real names.
Okay I should let other people use the computer. Hope everyone has a happy Cinco De Mayo!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I love that Chris has an official trail name now...and I have to say that as much as I liked it, this one suits him a little better than "Bridesmaid" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seahorse suits you well. And Chilidog is a pretty awesome moniker.

    ReplyDelete