Thursday, September 15, 2011

September 13 - White Pass

End: camp near bumping river
Daily: 25.6
Total: 2316.9
This view was unexpected and took my breath away. 

We got out of camp at 6:30 this morning, which is amazing for us, and hiked until 10:30 to get to White Pass. On the way, we climbed up a ridge to get an AMAZING view of Rainier. I love those times when I just want to get to the top and don't expect anything other than being able to stop climbing, and then I get an awesome view like this. The sky was so clear, which was a change from yesterday, because there are three large fires burning within a few hundred miles and the sky has been hazy with smoke. There was also an inversion early this morning, so there was a blanket of clouds down low with only the ridges poking through and then the big mountain over it all. Wow.

Then to White Pass, where Han Solo caught up to us! Apparently he's been trying to catch us for a while. So we will probably hike with him for a few days and then he might speed up to catch his flight home to Germany for his mom's 60th birthday. I'm glad he's here. He cracks us up.

He also told us that not only is Timberline to Cascade Locks effectively closed, Ollalie Lake to Timberline is now closed too. Ad that to the fire closure near Mt. Washington and a lot of Oregon is closed... I'm so glad we made it through with only one detour.

So we headed out in the afternoon and did the small climb, stopping to wash in a lake halfway up. It felt like a real shower!

Then on to camp, but not before having to get our feet wet in a ford first. Oh well.

Man, I can't believe we only have three stops left in America. I don't want it to end, but I know we have to keep going or the weather might shut us out. Conundrum!

No comments:

Post a Comment