Friday, August 26, 2011

August 26

End: awesome overlook campsite above Odell lake
Daily: 25.1
Total: 1913.1

Mosquito hell again. We were able to get a few squirts of bug spray plus some Off wipes (and a cookie!) from a really nice family at Summit Lake in the morning. Their kids, Madeline and Isaiah, had just gone on their first backpacking trip in the Smokies earlier this year. Hearing about kids playing in the woods makes me think maybe there is a little hope for the next generation.

Anyway, then we entered Diamond Peak Wilderness. It was gorgeous! And also a breeding ground for mozzies. Lakes and ponds literally everywhere. And a huge mountain ridge above everything! Tons of snow on it, but it wasn't too bad for walking.

There was a spring halfway through the day, which wasn't on Halfmile's maps. Which almost never happens because his maps are the best. But Scott Williamson mentions it in Yogi's Guide and it sounded great. For those of you who don't know who he is: current record holder of the fastest PCT thru hike in something like 66 days. Just to make it really official he did it with NO hitchhiking, just walking, into town. He's thru hiked 12 times and he's currently hiking southbound again.

We were bouncing around with Spicerack and he kept joking about "oh it's Scott williamson's spring, maybe we'll meet him here." The spring was awesome, and the rest of the day was pretty easy downhill with tons of bugs until the last few miles. Chris went ahead to get our package from shelter cove and meet me back at the trail. I carried the tent and sone extra stuff up to this awesome campsite, passing Spicerack on the way. While I was setting up the tent I noticed he was talking to someone I had assumed was a day hiker because of the size of his pack. They chatted for a while and when they parted Spicerack came up to check out this site, and said "I just met Scott Williamson." !!! I'm pissed I didn't go down. The guy was 155 miles from Canada a week ago!

Anyway, that was the crazy story of the day.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll meet him this weekend. I'm one of the runners you guys met near Howard Prairie (moik and Becky - big guy and tiny woman and a little white dog w black spots) and I've been running a couple of sections each weekend. Today I ran from Four Mile Lake to HWY 140 in Sky Lakes Wilderness. My wife was kind enough to shuttle me. On Sunday I'll be running a section South of Crater Lake (crater lake to stuart falls and back)

    Anyway - I continue to dig yr blog and I just wanted to direct you to yr photo on Flickr:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ex_magician/6067316531/

    Also I linked yr blog from that photo.

    I've been shooting several other thru and section hikers as well. Probably some folks you know.

    Have a great adventure

    moik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We remember you two, and your beautiful dog. I'm glad you're still reading, and I hope you're able to make it out a lot before the weather turns bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes of course I'll keep reading - if you guys can hike the whole trail the least I can do is read the entire blog!

    BTW I'm planning a backpack through just Sky Lakes Wilderness. Two days - one night - either 54 or 39 miles depending on the route. My gear is much bulkier and heavier than I'd like - I need to learn!

    ReplyDelete