Monday, August 8, 2011

August 8 - Sierra City

Hello to everyone who found this blog on the PCT website! I just noticed that it got put up. If you want, comment and let me know you're reading. We'd love to know who you are.

We set our alarm for 5, slept through that, and were woken up by Chris's backup alarm at 5 to 6. It still seemed really early - I guess the days are starting to get shorter, because it was barely light. We packed up in 20 minutes and practically ran down the hill. Now we're in Mt. Shasta, which is literally the most hippie town I have ever been in. Everything is Crystal Healing and Mastery Classes with Sananda (apparently Jesus's spirit) through a lady named Eterna and Truganic food (cuz organic's not good enough)... It would be fun to spend some time here and people watch.

We met a group of probably 60+-aged people who were interested in our walk at a cafe. Then we learned that they were some of the first whitewater kayakers ever, back in the 60s. They made the first descents of a lot of the rivers around here. They built their boats in their basements and made their helmets out of wetsuit material and fiberglass. Crazy!

We'll try to get out soon. Then on to Etna, where we'll take more time to relax.

6 comments:

  1. Hello From Chicago -

    I just found your blog on the PCT site. My husband's aunt lives in Mount Shasta and we're headed out there for a visit in October. I hear you about the hippie thing. Another relative living in Mt. Shasta changed her name from Linda to Talitha on the advice of her numerologist. The rest of the family is still adjusting 20 years later.

    Our son hiked the Appalachian Trail in 1999 and we spent a weekend visiting him and doing Trail Magic, which was really fun for us non through hiker parents.

    Your Blog is wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY FROM EASTON WA. JUST WANTED TO SAY BE CAREFUL, HAVE FUN, AND CANT WAIT TO READ MORE.MAYBE ONE DAY ME AND MY HUSBAND WILL BE WHERE YOU ARE. TAKE CARE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Ventura, CA!

    Your blog is great. We just got back from a family vacation that crossed several parts of the PCT (including the Sierra Buttes just a day after you went through). You descriptions made it all come alive again. Thanks for the wonderful writing and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your blog in Mount Vernon, WA. Loving it! I've been reading many journals found on the PCTA website, but was drawn to yours initially because my daughters name is Hillary, also (2 L's, of course!). I'm embarking on a year of 47 hikes for my 47th year, which I'm blogging.
    Best of luck, and keep on blogging!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz,

    Two L's is the only way to spell Hillary. It's more balanced that way. What's your blog name? I'd love to see where you've been so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I wish there was a way for me to reply individually to all three of you but apparently I can't. I'm really glad you're all reading! I plan to continue posting to Canada and now that I have my iPod working I can post from the trail. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete